May 16, 2010

Prague Photos

A few more photos from my trip to Prague--sometimes five a day isn't as much as I think it is.

Below is the old-new synagogue (and Jana).  This Jewish Synagogue was preserved because Hitler was planning on using it as a museum for an extinct race.  He loved Prague. He wanted it to become the culture capital of his Third Reich.  When I heard that I almost lost it.  That man was crazy.


Here is our group after taking the walking tour.  Yeah, it's a lot of people.  

It turns out that Prague restaurants really don't like feeding large groups of American college students.  We usually had to split into smaller groups to get any kind of dinner.  It was even hard with small groups sometimes.  My favorite attempt was at a pub near old town.  The conversation went something like this.
Me: "Excuse me, we have six (hold up six fingers) people that want to eat dinner (hand on stomach).  Do you have a table?"
Restaurant Manager: "That is nice.  We have no room."
Usually, we would wander around until we found a place that would seat us, and the food was always amazing (luckily).  It might have just been amazing because we were all STARVING, but it really tasted so good, and it was cheap.  In Czech currency, one CZK is equal to $.05.  So at first everything looks like it costs 100 dollars, but really it's only 5.


The whole trip involved on lot of 'czech' jokes.  You know, like, "Visit the Castle.  Czech!" or "Oh, Czech it out!" or like our tour guide pointed out, "We are Czechsperts."  Apparently the locals have caught on to this play on words.  I'm still surprised Whitney didn't buy this shirt.


Our last night in Prague was so wonderful.  We ate at a restaurant with a nice waitress, and a fireplace, and such good food.  Afterwards we wandered around the city at night and caught a free concert on the River.  We watched from the Charles Bridge and all had warm fuzzies inside (even though we were soaking wet and freezing--it rained all day).  I talked to a German couple behind me (in German).  That was exciting.  In this photo: Ambree, Whitney (hiding), Krystle, Jana, Maria, and William's backpack cover.



And in case you were wondering if I was actually in Prague or not, here are a few photos of me at the Lennon wall.  




2 comments:

  1. Jenny!!! I love your photo blog, more so I like the daily updates so I can continually know what you're up to over there and that you're safe and sound : ) miss you!! ps. your pictures are amazing, your camera is amazing(still jealous), I hope your adventure is as amazing as it looks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures! I am so excited for the year book. Why is Whitney always trying to hide her face? That is my question. Flash mob soon ehh? (that is me pretending to be Canadian so the people of Europe won't hate me)

    ReplyDelete