May 6, 2010

Just My Luck

When I moved to Lake Powell I lost my cell phone on a trip to St. George.

When I moved to Houston I lost my car keys within 12 hours of my arrival.

When I moved to Vienna I lost my wallet in the first week.

Does anyone see a pattern here?

Before I left to Vienna, my Dad kept telling me I was going to lose my passport.  “You have to keep it in the same place!  I’ve seen it kicking around for weeks now, and you need to get in the habit of putting it in one location, EVERY TIME.”  One day, he saw it sitting out on the coffee table and he decided he was going to teach me a lesson.  He picked it up and put it with his passport in his nightstand.  I started looking for it (a few days later) and started stressing that I’d lost that $100 booklet.  I frantically asked my family if anyone had seen it, insisting that it had been on the coffee table all week.  He finally admitted that he had seen it with his passport.  Well Dad, I haven’t lost my Passport, but maybe you should have done the same thing when you saw my wallet sitting on the kitchen table.

The good news is that this wallet story ends better than the cell phone and key fiasco.  In St. George I had to get a new phone shipped to me, and Houston my mom FedEx-ed a key overnight, but in Vienna a very nice University Student facebooked me and said:


I was very relieved to see this message, as I had been stressing about the wallet situation for about an hour.  I had already called the bank to cancel my cards, but that’s all right, I can get new ones.  I just can’t believe I left it on the bench like that.  I am ridiculous.

Why was I sitting on that bench in the first place?  Well that’s the awesome part.  Maria, Whitney, Breanna and I were enjoying our first scoop of Eis here in Vienna.  I still can’t believe how good it was.  Not only was my hazelnut gelato the most amazing treat I had that day, but they way they scoop it makes it look so adorable!!  I wish I had taken a photo, but I was too busy raving about how good it tasted. 

All the food here tastes good and looks incredible.  The servings are much smaller, but you are still quite full at the end of every meal.  You never walk away from a restaurant feeling sick or overstuffed; it seems to always be just right.  Sometimes, I might be a little thirsty, because I haven’t quite figured out how to get ‘plain water’, but I’m never sick to my stomach.  And because the meals aren’t mondo huge here, you can sit down and eat with friends three times a day, and not feel like you are overeating.  The cafĂ©’s are so pleasant, they make time slow down a little bit.

Time to get ready for school, I have to buy a streetcar pass before I go today.  My all-you-can-ride public transportation ticket is in my wallet, which I won’t get from Michel until tomorrow probably.   So glad there are nice people all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment